At the beginning of 2020 I decided to take a hiatus from work to spend more time with my family and recharge. Like most people I had been working at one company after another for years and now I suddenly had time to zoom out and think. I ended up thinking quite a lot about my experiences at different companies that I had worked for. There were similarities in the challenges they faced but huge differences in the actions they took to address them. The actions they took embodied their values. No company gets everything right, but there are companies that through time learn to get most things right.
I believe that there is a huge need for better management practices at tech companies, young and old. Sharing experiences and ideas can help promote best practices but so can the right tools.
There are literally hundreds of things that must be done with care and compassion for an Engineering Manager (EM) to build a team that delivers great results. Here are just a few of the things an EM needs to do, day in and day out:
- Hiring and On-boarding new talent
- Retaining and growing the talent they have on their team
- Owning the reliability of the system their team owns
- Creating roadmaps that are aligned with business needs, executing these roadmaps, sharing and grading the results of the execution
- Evaluating the performance of their directs and communicating results
- Aligning with peers across the company to increase the chances of successful results
I decided to build a service solely focused on helping Engineering Managers with their daily work, because improving teams also improves business.
Today, I'm excited to announce that Managers.App is open beta! I'm equally excited about the new features which will be added to the service in the coming weeks and months. Please sign up with Managers.App and pass this message along to someone who might benefit from using Managers.App.